Lower back pain is a common issue that many people face, whether it be from sitting at a desk for too long, lifting heavy objects improperly, or even just from poor posture. While there are many ways to alleviate lower back pain, physical therapy exercises can be a highly effective option for many people. If you are suffering from low back pain, there are sometimes a few simple exercises that can help you. These aren’t for everyone, and you should not do anything that causes pain, but here are five common exercises to relieve lower back pain:
- Pelvic Tilt: Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Tighten your abdominal muscles and press your lower back into the floor, holding for a few seconds before releasing. Repeat for 10-15 repetitions.
- Single Knee to Chest: Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Bring one knee up to your chest, holding onto your shin or behind your knee. Hold for 20-30 seconds before releasing and repeating on the other side.
- Cat-Cow Stretch: Get on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees under your hips. Arch your back up towards the ceiling and then lower it down towards the ground, repeating for 10-15 repetitions.
- Hip Flexor Stretch: Kneel on one knee with the other foot flat on the ground in front of you. Press your hips forward until you feel a stretch in your hip flexor. Hold for 20-30 seconds before switching to the other leg.
- Bird Dog: Get on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees under your hips. Reach one arm forward and the opposite leg back, holding for a few seconds before switching sides. Repeat for 10-15 repetitions.
It’s important to remember to perform each exercise slowly and carefully, avoiding any jerky or sudden movements. If you experience any pain or discomfort, stop the exercise and consult with a physical therapist.
Want to see videos of these exercises with instructions?
Click on the button below and enter
the code 8JP87VXP to gain instant access to the videos.